Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Open Letter

Please excuse me this indulgence friends, but I have something I need to get off my chest and I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do this face to face.

Dear K,

Please pardon the lack of the honorific "Aunt", but given the events of the last few months, I'm not sure I can think of you that way anymore.

Before Grandpop died, you crossed the line, I admit that. It was out of respect for my grandfather that I didn't call you out on it. You talked to my mother like she was crap and she took it, and believe me, that had little to do with the advice my sister and I gave.

You wanted to let my grandfather die like he was a dog on the side of the road. I thank God that my sister and my mother called that morning, and my sister put her livelihood on the line that day. She put her career at risk to ensure that our grandfather didn't suffocate in pain. You wanted to let him suffer. I'm not sure I can ever forgive you for that.

Your tantrum the day after grandpop died was unacceptable, and your accusations towward my mother were uncalled for.

You are the one who cannot be trusted, not my mother.

I've stayed away until recently. Not because I don't love my grandmother, but because I respect her, and I respect my mother. I allowed myself to think better of you, in spite of your actions in the days after my grandfather's death. I allowed myself to think that you had turned a corner.

Tonight that all changed. The old "K" came back, talking to my mother like she was a piece of shit. I won't forgive that. I won't forgive you.

I'm done. Saturday just may have been the last time you'll ever see me. I hope you can live with that. I hope you can live with yourself.

Fuck you.

No comments: