Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Feeling Conflicted

Michael Vick, scumbag of the universe, cancelled on Oprah this week.

Supposedly, he cancelled because owners of the dogs he tortured (abused isn’t a strong enough word for what he did) wanted equal time. His reps said it was due to personal reasons.

Whatever.

Frankly, I’m not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I feel icky about this POS getting time on a show like Oprah. I honestly thought she was classier than that. After all, this is a woman who changed the tenor of her show after skinheads had a brawl on her show. These skinheads, whose opinions are abhorrent to me, never caused the death of living, breathing beings to my knowledge. Perhaps they wished harm on those they hated, but, again and this is only to my knowledge, never electrocuted, drowned or forced defenseless beings to fight to the death. To think that she would give this POS air time, and for him would believe it would be a love fest, is shocking to me.

Yes, I did say that I thought it was refreshing when he admitted a few months ago that he wouldn’t have given up his dog fighting ring if he hadn’t been caught. I got some abuse for this, and perhaps now is the time for me to clarify. I don’t admire him (I really don’t want to type his name again). I was merely commenting on the fact that he didn’t trot out some B.S. line about always feeling conflicted, or blame another person, or the people around him for what he did. I was merely commenting on the fact that he admitted that what he did was wrong, and it took an intervention to get him to stop. Perhaps this is the line of a good P.R. person, but I stand by my original opinion.

Another point, and my father and I have had some words over this, POS has lamented the fact that the terms of his parole prevent him from owning another dog, and his daughter desperately wants one. My father feels that POS should be allowed the privilege (and as the owner of two dogs, trust me, it is a privilege despite the occasional trials and tribulations) of having a dog, as that pet would be the most looked after and pampered of canines.

I think his daughter should take this as a sign that she should petition for emancipation, no matter what her age is, if she wants a dog that badly.

Getting back to my original point, being conflicted about POS cancelling on Oprah, there is a part of me that is disappointed about him cancelling. I’d like to see him come face to face with at least one of his victims. It goes unsaid that I’d like to see said victim gnaw off his hand, but also for that victim’s person tell POS how his actions have affected them. I’d like for him to be confronted with the reality, the reality that he victimized a creature that didn’t have a voice, one that needed and will continue to need constant care and attention. One that may never fully heal from the torture endured.

For many fans of the Philadelphia Eagles, the ultimate redemption story would be for POS to bring home the Lombardi trophy, and Philly does love a good redemption story. I’d just like to see POS traded for someone who deserves to wear the jersey, and deserves to be the person of a loving dog, who will always feel safe, and will never have to experience what the victims of Bad Newz Kennels went through in their last days and hours. For that person, I’d ditch work for the parade down Broad Street.

And bring my rescue dogs without fear or need to explain.

2 comments:

ashia said...

I think I'd like to see him on Oprah, and probably Oprah only. I think she could really "control" the interview and I think she'd definitely be a voice for his victims as an animal lover herself. Every time I hear that POS's name and how people cheer for him out on the field, it makes me sick. What do Jeffery Dahmer, the Boston strangler, those 2 10 yrs olds who killed that toddler in England and Mr. NFL have in common? They all abused animals. I wonder if Jeffery Dahmer would be given such praise?
But, if we are going down the animal abuse road, I do have to say a few words for animals that are factory farmed. By eating meat and supporting the meat industry, we all allow this abuse to go on. Factory farming now accounts for more than 99 percent of all farmed animals raised and slaughtered in the United States. If one eats meat, cheese, goes to the circus, weasr leather, and we all do one of the above, then we have to also consider this abuse we regularly turn a blind eye to (is that grammatically correct?? LOL) This is an old article, but it's interesting:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alec-baldwin/michael-vick-black-sheep_b_260990.html

bethina74 said...

I'm guilty of 3 of the four (I can't bring myself to go the circus, and was in fact pretty ticked off when the local news did a segment at the circus a few weeks ago). I try to go organic and free range, but clearly am a hypocrite if eating meat, dairy and wearing leather is on the same level as as animal abuse (including dog fighting). Another close friend pointed out the cultural background of dog fighting, and while I do see her point, I think education of both the consumer and the farmer is needed. I could do a better job of finding alternatives to the poultry that makes up a large part of my diet and the leather that is in my footwear. I guess I have my own work to do