Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Another Open Letter

Dear Jon & Kate:

For the sake of your children, I implore both of you to please grow up. That's it, that's my simple request.

Ideally you'd both fade back into obscurity, Kate being the kind of nurse that makes people stay away from doctor's offices and hospitals despite bleeding from both eyes and ears, and Jon being the kind of IT guy that my friends and I openly mock.

But in the words of Mick Jagger, you can't always get what you want.

So with that in mind, I'd like to ask that you keep your divorce proceedings, financial disputes and dalliances out of the press.

There are a lot of children of divorce out there, and I'd likely wager that the majority of them didn't have to read on the web that their parents "despise" each other, or that the other parent is acting like a teenager. I'd pretty much bet the ranch that most children of divorce aren't able to look forward to the inevitable boxed set of the dissolution of their parent's marriage that the +8 are going to have.

Marriages end, people change, couples grow apart. It happens every day in America. Regrettably in your case it happened on TV with America watching.

The past can't be changed. What can be changed is how you choose to co-parent in the future.

At the end of the day, you've brought 8 lovely children into this word who have no power and little capacity to understand what is happening around them. I hope you both prove themselves in deed that you are the loving parents you profess to be by hashing out your differences in private, and letting their children be children.

In the meantime, can you both please get the hell out of my People Magazine? Kate, your hair and Jon, your bling are giving me nightmares.

Thanks,

Beth

No comments: