Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Live on TV

I feel like my experience with live television has only been tragedies.

As a child, I watched the explosion of Challenger, I saw Bud Dwyer kill himself during a televised press conference on a snow day, and as a young adult, I watched the Twin Towers collapse in real time.

Tonight I got to watch a miracle.

It’s not over yet, but I’m hopeful.

I was going to go to bed at a reasonable time, but decided to get an update on the rescue of the Chilean miners before I went to bed.

Between Anderson Cooper and Facebook, I got sucked in, and I’m glad I did. I got to see the rescuer make it down the mine, and saw the first miner, Florencio Avalos, get into the rescue capsule and make his way back to the surface while it was happening. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried when I saw him hug his son.

I’m praying that the remaining 32 miners make their way back up safely, and I’m thankful that I am able to make a living in a field that doesn’t put my life at risk.

Please keep the miners in Chile, and the rescue workers, in your prayers. They’re in mine.

No comments: