Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tempest in a (Tea) Pot

For the record, I don’t spoke pot. Believe it or not, I never have and don't plan to start now. When your father is a 6’3” police officer who did a stint in the Marine Corps, you either toe the line or you rebel in a big way. In case you haven’t figured it out, while I do have a bit of a rebellious streak, I’m still pretty much a goody two shoes.

While I don’t “partake” so to speak, I’m surprised by the reaction to the picture of Michael Phelps hitting a bong. For cryin’ out loud, he’s a 23 year old swimmer – not a teacher, nor is he a Boy Scout Pack Leader. If Michael Phelps is the sole role model in your child’s life, then I’d have to question your parenting techniques. I think he did the right thing by acknowledging that it was him in the picture and owning up to his mistake. Whether his mistake was smoking pot or getting caught is up to you to decide. I don’t think we need to haul him onto the lawn of the White House and ritually stone him, which it appears at least one of his sponsors and USA Swimming would suggest by their actions.

I wonder what would have happened if he was Michael Phelps, College Student and not Michael Phelps, Olympic Gold Medalist. I suspect the pictures would have gone onto someone’s Facebook page, and he would be hoping his parents or future employer wouldn’t see them. Instead, they’ve been plastered on TV news, national and international newspapers and all over the internet. While my idea of abusing a drug is taking a Benedryl when I need to catch some Zs, I would still hate to think of my 23 year old foibles being fodder for debate on an international stage.

One could say that Mr. Phelps asked for this kind of exposure – that may be true. Being in the spotlight like he is, he does have an obligation to act in a responsible manner. I just think that perhaps it’s time to let it go.

He screwed up. He knows he screwed up. Everybody else knows that he screwed up. Now let him learn from his mistakes and grow up like other 20-somethings.

No comments: