Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

General Frustration

"They" say write what you know, and there are no two subjects I know better than whining and handbags.

I admit I have a handbag problem. It started in 1998 when I fell in love with the black nylon Kate Spade Sam bag. Everything was perfect in my mind - the size, the color, the shape. Everything, that is, but the price tag. If I recall correctly, it was an astronomical $199. Way out of my price range when I was making in the avenue of $25k a year back then.

Deciding I couldn't afford it, I went on a quest to find a replacement. I bought every cheap bag in the area - going from Payless to Parade of Shoes and from TJ Maxx to Target. Nothing satisfied me. One of my colleagues, bemused by my obsession, commented to me that if I just bit the bullet and bought the original bag I probably would have saved money.

So I saved and worked overtime, and finally walked into Neiman Marcus and bought the bag, and I even had enough left over to buy the matching wallet. Thus the obsession began.

I found the much lusted after Sam bag wasn't all I imagined it to be. No pocket for my cell phone. The hard edges slammed into my arm when I walked. But it was then I developed a taste for nice bags and matching wallets.

I guess it's better than meth, but probably more expensive.

Despite my collection, no bag and wallet combo is more important to me than the one I am using at any one time. My life is generally contained in those vessels. My checkbook, my check card, lipstick, lip balm, compact, drivers license, iPod, Blackberry & cell phone. Seriously, the list could go on and on.

Imagine my general disbelief when I went to figure out how much cash I had on Sunday morning to find my wallet missing. I ran out to my car to see if it had fallen out and under one of the seats. I checked my bedroom to see if I had slipped it in a pants pocket. I even checked the dog toys and dog beds to see if my klepto beagle had stolen it. No dice.

Sunday was spent making calls cancelling cards and going to the police station to report the wallet missing. I spent a good hour and a half retracing my steps from Saturday in a futile attempt to locate it.

So, two months after The Great Checking Account Debacle of 09, I am now awaiting the delivery of yet another check card, and looking forward to another round of updating payment information. Not to mention an exciting trip to the DMV to get a new license.

I guess there is some good news in all of this - I get to go wallet (and therefore handbag shopping) again the future.

Let the hunt begin.

No comments: