Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Off to the Races

I've been talking about it and now the deed is done. I've signed up for a 5k, the first in over a year, in order to give myself a real goal.

Back in my thinner days, I regularly ran the equivalent of a 5k every day on my treadmill. I didn't do any cross training and went to Curves three times a week for strength training. It shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone that I eventually injured myself and couldn't run. The depression crept in along with the pounds.

Last year I attempted to get back into the game and again was sidelined. There were a lot of reasons, most of them mental and some of them physical, that caused me to not be as successful as I would have liked. I had signed up for a 5k and while I finished, it wasn't satisfying in that "Yay me!" kind of way.

Over the summer I decided to do an overhaul. Going to a gym, working with a trainer and, of course, doing Weight Watchers. I'm mixing up my cardio with spinning, the stair master and yes, running. My endurance isn't where I would like it to be, but I'm working on it along with everything else.

So, four days after I turn 36 (aack!) I'm going to run what I hope will be my return to racing. A little older, hopefully a little wiser. My expectations are low, I just want to finish, hopefully without barfing. Wish me luck!

No comments: