Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

No Regrets

I've found myself saying "I'm sorry" way too much recently, particularly for things that I probably shouldn't be sorry for.

For example, "Sorry, I can't go out tonight, I'm tired" "Sorry, I can't go out to eat, I'm watching my weight" "Sorry, I'm not able to watch your child, I have other plans"

Why am I sorry for putting myself first? It's not like I'm refusing to help a dying person or I've run over a kitten.

I've worked really hard over the past few months to work on myself. Eating right, working out, but apparently that has taken the place of taking care of myself in other ways. I've shed pounds of physical weight (55 pounds to be exact) but I think I've added a corresponding amount in guilt.

To be fair, I am Irish and Italian. And Catholic. All known for their guilt issues.

Well, I'm going to try to put a stop to it. In April I attempted the "Great Swear Experiment", where I tried to give up cursing. Did it work? 'F no, but I tried. I at least was more aware of my foul mouth. So now, I'm going to try to give up saying "I'm sorry" when I really shouldn't be.

No apologies for going to the gym.

No apologies for eating right.

No apologies for putting myself first.

I'll say I'm sorry if I've stepped on your foot, done something to offend you, cursed in front of your four year old or stepped on your dog's tail. But if I don't want to do something, then so be it. If I need to do something for me, deal with it.

P.S. For the record, trying fighting the urge to say "sorry if I offend you" so I'll replace that with "Deal with it. Holla atcha girl."

P.P.S. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. Also, Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Belated Hanukkah!

No comments: