Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 1

I'm getting ready for bed, so although there is still opportunity for foul language, I'm going to recap the day while it's still fresh. Here's how day one went:

9:30 - Put the finishing touches on my blog and hit publish post. Operation No Cursing is on!


10:00 - got an email from one of my colleagues overseas who refuses to directly email anyone who is in my organization directly, but rather prefers to have the emails go through me. Uttered the d-word. The uttered it again when I realized what I had done.


11:00 - called the help desk to get an issue resolved. Tech passed me around like a cheap bottle of vodka - I resisted the urge to put the call on mute so I could rant to myself.


11:35 - end call with the help desk and of course utter one of my signature f-bomb phrases. There goes another dollar. If you have ever had to deal with a help desk, I'm sure you feel my pain.


noon - lunch with the boss. On my best behavior, so no cursing there


1:00 - back from lunch. Check Facebook and see a posting for a concert by someone asking if anybody wanted to go with him. I have no idea who the entertainer is and I mutter to myself "Who the "h" is that". Side note: I looked up the entertainer - family friendly comedian. One comment specifically mentions he's obscenity free. No wonder I haven't heard of him.

2:00 - 9:45 - on my best behavior. This may have something to do with the fact that I was doing heads down work all afternoon and didn't interact with anybody. President Adams has decided to go back on a campaign promise and allow silent cursing. Baby steps. Plus I don't carry that much cash on me. The ride over to my part-time gig was swear free as well. Nobody cut me off, and miraculously, no songs with bad language came on my iPod. Yes, I sing out loud when I'm alone in the car. When I have passengers and I sing out loud, they try to throw themselves out of the car while it's moving. I'm that bad. On the bright side, in my humble opinion, I rap a mean 99 Problems.

9:46 - on my way home, came to the intersection of Main and Markley, the light's still green as I hit the approach and then - DENIED. The bar goes across the intersection - SEPTA Regional Rail pulls in making me sit through a red light. I smack my steering wheel and yell the d-word again - out loud. Philosophic question - if I curse alone and nobody hears it, did I make a sound? For the purposes of this experiment, yes.

So, Day 1 - what have I learned? Well, first of all, I talk to myself out loud way too much. No, really. It's not like I'm expecting an answer, but it's still a tad odd, no? Oh, and I can find other words to use rather than my normal profanity. Today's it's a novelty, but I want to keep this up for a while.

No comments: