Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Experiment

I've been wanting to do something more with this blog. Updating it more would be a good place to start, but in order to do that I need material. My life in and of itself doesn't inspire much creative writing unless you enjoy both The Bell Jar and Confessions of a Shopaholic alternately. There are days I think I should rename it Rantings of an Undiagnosed Bi-Polar.

I've always been intrigued by the "I'm gonna do something rediculous for x amount of time and write about it" a la The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs, Super Size Me by Morgan Spurlock (a documentary rather than a book or blog, but you the idea) or The Julie/Julia Project by Julie Powell.

I could of course just bite on these ideas do do my own version, but I suspect living the Bible literally for a year would get me either fired or cause me to lose my friends. Eating McDonald's or any other fast food for that matter for a set period of time has its own challenges. First of all, I already eat so much of the junk I have a feeling my liver is practically pate at this point, and given that Weight Watchers has started screaming at me to come back, living off of french fries and bacon cheeseburgers might not be the best idea. And as for working my way through a Julia Child cookbook, seeing as the list of foods I don't/won't eat could fill a book of its own, I suspect it would be a futile endeavor.

I do have an idea, and one that presents some unique challenges for me. I am going to give up cursing. Lame? Maybe, but I suspect that if the late George Carlin spent a week with me, his infamous 7 Dirty Words would be more like the 100 Dirty Words. I love to curse - check out the link Moi at the top of this blog. I once said I was going to get the phrase "Swears Like a Secretary" into the vernacular.

So, ground rules. No cursing out loud at all - not my beloved f-word, not the euphamism for feces, no d-word, h-e-double hockey sticks, not even the words that can be used to describe a donkey or a female dog (unless of course I am talking about a donkey or a female dog).

Driving will be interesting. So will working at my part-time job. No cursing inside my head - and I curse a lot to myself. If I do, money is going in a jar. I'll fill you in on day one tomorrow, because swear-free Beth starts now.

No comments: