Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Some Shallow Thoughts (For Once)




Would someone please tell me when harem/hammer pants came back? Or for that matter, stirrup pants?

I was doing some deep, soulful, introspective reading the other night – OK, it was OK Magazine and In Style, but both of these publications had features on these pants. And yes, I checked the date – both were from October, 2008.

At the risk of sounding like my idol Dennis Miller, I don’t want to get off on a rant here, but while I am on the subject of questionable fashion, when did leg warmers become acceptable outwear for non-dancers?

Don’t get me wrong - I’m all for recycling. Pucci prints, mini skirts, tasteful fringe, the remake of Knight Rider, the reunion of NKOTB, but c’mon. Harem pants? People, I wore harem pants – I looked I was wearing a diaper; it’s not a look I really think the free world needs to see again.

Let me also say that with almost 100% certainty I am not the foremost expert on fashion. The very fact that I was in a section of WalMart that has clothing should be a big clue. While I’m on the subject, if anyone wants the title of “My Favorite Person –EVER”, please feel free to submit me for an episode of What Not to Wear. Getting secret footage shouldn’t be that hard. To prove my case, I've provided a picture of me in my best Flashdance fringed t-shirt. I thought I looked hot.

Considering today is Halloween, perhaps I should root though my closet – I think I hear my old legwarmers calling…

By the bye, if you are talking to my mother, please don’t let her know about the stirrup pants – she’s still bitter about the fact that I made her toss her treasured stash a few years ago.

UPDATE
Just heard from mom. She read about the stirrup pants. I'm officially out of the will.

1 comment:

jennbon said...

I had to double take a magazine last week also! I guess if you save clothes long enough- they come back into style!