Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

Back in the Saddle

I got back on the treadmill today for the first time in almost two years. I walked for 30 minutes at about 3.5 mpg. Two years ago that was taking it easy. Today? I had a healthy sweat going. Thank God for DVR. Today I had RuPaul's Drag Race going, and I'm stock piling some good TV so I have motivation.

Honestly? This is a bit humiliating for me. In September 2006 I ran in the Main Line 5k. I kept up with my brother in law, who is a 6' 4" prison guard (i.e. he has to run fast for his job). OK, he said that he wasn't killing himself, but I finished seconds after him. My sister said I was an animal.

Today I was pushing it on something that would have been a warm up for me.

I'm trying to approach this logically, not emotionally. I enjoyed my couch potato days - watching Heroes with a pile of Pringles in front of me; going to the movies and getting extra butter on my vat o'popcorn - and trust me, I had many a night of doing just that. Now my TV time is spent with a mug of herbal tea or fat-free olestra potato chips. The weight didn't pile on overnight, and it isn't going to come off overnight, no matter how much I wish it would.

I caved in and bought a Wii and Wii Fit - a great motivator. Between the "oh!" when I get on the board for my daily assessment and the knowledge that I will be asked to account for my whereabouts if I skip a day, I have motivation to spare.

Step by step, inch by inch, pound by pound, here's hoping that there will be less of me in volume, and more of me in spirit.

No comments: