Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Secrets


I have a secret I want to share with you. I'm sure some of you may have already figured it out by now, but I wanted to make it official.

This is really hard for me, so I hope you will all love me and continue to accept me.

Deep breath.

Ok...here goes.

My name is Beth, and I like Coors Light.

Whew...that's a relief. For years I've been hiding my love of relatively weak beer behind pricey imports like Stella Artois and Smithwicks, and local brews like Yuengling.

I've laughed along when people I'm drinking with mocked the light beers. I scorned my beloved Silver Bullet.

Like many things in my life, I of course blame my father. When I was little, my dad was a Miller Light man. For some random reason, I can recall playing in the empty boxes.

Incidentally, we also used to play with the empty cigar boxes supplied by my father's colleague. Yep, my sister and I played with alcohol and tobacco vessels. We also had cap guns, water guns and munched on candy cigarettes. It's a wonder we didn't become felons wanted by the ATF.

Anyhow, back to beer. At some point, dad switched to the silver cans of Coors Light. I don't quite remember when, but I have to believe it was somewhere around the time I became aware of the demon rum, er...beer. So, my first sips of booze were light beer and the Chablis that came out of the green jugs my mother purchased.

Light beer and cheap wine. Have that with chicken nuggets and pizza, and you can imagine why I ruled out culinary school. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm pretty sure that there are 4 year olds with more sophisticated palates than me.

When I came of age (not that I ever sipped alcohol before then! Stop Laughing) I was mocked the first time I ordered a Coors Light. I was mocked. So I started cheating. I tried micro brews, imports - but nothing tasted like Coors Light.

On Friday I went to the beer distributor. They didn't have Stella or Smithwicks, and I couldn't get bottles of Yuengling. What kind of beer distributor was this?!?!? Anyhow, needing beer, I grabbed a case of Coors Light. Spent about $10 to $15 less than I planned, and the Silver Bullet and I got back together.

Now on to my second confession...my name is Beth, and I like cheap wine!

No comments: