Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Am I Thin Yet?

I've been on Weight Watchers for a little over seven weeks now. While it took me 2 years to gain 90 pounds, I'm getting impatient with my progress.

So far, I'm down 12 pounds, an average of 1.7 pounds a week. I have a spreadsheet to track my progress. Seriously - a spreadsheet. I'm 13% to goal, and I've lost 6% of my starting weight. I know - makes me want to cry too.

Rationally, I know this is respectable progress, but I'm not happy. The first number on the scale is still a 2. My Wii is still telling me I'm obese, and will continue to do so until I lose another 40 pounds.

I should be proud of what I've done. My suits are fitting a bit better, my jeans looser. I'm able to run for 15 minutes in a row. That's an improvement over the 5 minutes intervals I started out at.

I'm registered for a 5k that is taking place in a little over than a month and I'm freaking out a little. I lost a week of training time recovering from bronchitis and now have an arsenal of medications to control my asthma.

I'm trying to remember my original goal - finish the race. Just finish - run, walk, crawl - finish under my own power. I told my doctor about the race, and when I was leaving, she wished me luck on my journey.

That's what I'm focusing on - not how fast I lose the weight, not how fast I finish the race. My plan for race day is to enjoy the run - look at the sights, enjoy the music on my iPod and focus on what really matters, not how I get to the end, just that I get there eventually.

I need to apply that philosophy to my weight loss journey. Actually, I need to apply that to life - embracing the journey, not just the goals I set for myself.

1 comment:

H. said...

slow and steady wins the race....