Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Barbie and Me

When I was a kid, one of my favorite toys was my Barbie. If there was a new version and I happened to see it, I wanted it. The Barbie Penthouse, Winnebago, Skipper, Hispanic Barbie (she looked Italian Grandmom - really!) - you name it, if I didn't have it, I wanted it.

My sister had (and still has) a sci-fi obsession, so there were times that her Han Solo action figure hitched a ride in the Barbie Corvette if we played together. Kelly had an antagonistic relationship with my favorite doll, later admitting to pulling the heads off to try to rid me of my obsession.

As I got into grammar school, the fascination didn't fade away. I vividly remember the handmade dress my grandfather bought for one of my dolls - it cost $14 - a fortune for 1982. But I treasured that piece of clothing, and can still see it in my mind's eye.

In later years, Kelly intimated that she thought my body-image issues were rooted in my early play thing. I scoffed at the the time, but looking back, I wonder. I was, and still am, a short hazel-eyed overweight brunette -what could be more glamorous than a buxom blond-haired blue-eyed doll with the perfect figure? So her boyfriend was androgynous, we all have our crosses to bear. Did I develop my idea of how I should look from a doll? I honestly don't know.

When Kelly's daughter was born, she told me that under no circumstances could I buy her a Barbie. Good Luck, I told her. We negotiated a one doll a year agreement. I immediately bought my then 5 lb 3 month old niece her very first Barbie as a coming home present when she came home from the NICU. How can she have only one when she was ready to play?

Since then, the one a year rule has fallen to the wayside, especially in light of Tara's love of all things pink and most things Barbie. What makes me happy is that she also loves playing outside and desperately wants to be able to hit a baseball as well as her neighbor Nicky. She loves playing with her dolls, although I suspect that this has more to do with riling up her mother than anything else. She has a stubborn streak, and I hope that carries her through to her adult years.

On many levels I know that my body image is something I developed as a result of many things - not just my dolls - and it's something I struggle with daily. From playing with Barbie, I developed a sense of imagination, a knowledge that I could do anything - be a veterinarian, astronaut, teacher or physician, as well as be a sister, friend and girlfriend - all while having a rocken' rack and flawless hair, but I digress. I'd hate to take that away from Tara because Barbie's proportions are unrealistic.

I hope Mattel catches on - maybe Barbie can have an off-shoot - Bad Hair Day Barbie, Holiday Weight Barbie - or better yet, Realistic Barbie - with a bit of cellulite, some roots and some slightly smeared eyeliner.

After all, we girls can do anything, right Barbie?

No comments: