Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

An Open Letter to Congressman Steve King (R - Iowa)

Oh boy...I'm sure this isn't going to gain me any fans, but here goes...

Dear Congressman King:

I was speechless when I opened up the enclosed letter with your name on the return envelope. As a registered Democrat, who regularly contributes to Planned Parenthood, I take offense to being asked to lobby my state’s representatives asking them to support the reversal of Roe v Wade. While I have never terminated a pregnancy, and hope and pray that I will never been in a position where I need to do so, I do not believe that I am able to dictate to another person what they can and cannot do with their body.

In addition, having never heard your name, I Googled you, and found what I read on your website with regard to your position on HB 1913 to be particularly offensive. Can you honestly tell me that Matthew Shepard was brutally tortured and murdered for any other reason than his sexual orientation? Protection of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgendered citizens is no different from protection of Catholic, Jewish or Muslim citizens. To that end, I find your stated stance against this bill as it is a transgression against religious expression concerning. Did Jesus not preach love and tolerance? I do not believe that Jesus would condone or encourage the persecution of another person because of who they love. Frankly, I would hope that a religious leader who advocated violence against any person, be it for creed, race, gender or sexual orientation, be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

In addition, although I am heterosexual and have the right to marry whomever I choose, sadly my gay and lesbian friends to do not have that same right. While I respect your stance against same-sex marriage, I do not agree with it. Love is love, and it should be celebrated no matter what form it takes.

In closing, while I fully understand that you will most likely not read this letter, I feel the need to respond to your presumptuous mailing. I support a broad number of causes from the Humane Society to Catholic Charities to The American Red Cross, so I am sure that my name appeared on a mailing list that was sold to you and your organization. Please remove me from your mailing list, and please inform the group that sold you my address to refrain from doing so.

1 comment:

NurseKelly-belly said...

Well done and well said. I'm proud of you.