Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bachelor Number 1

As some of you know, I had my first match.com date Wednesday night. Since I talked about it so much in the build up, I feel I owe you the gory details.

It started off OK – we met at a local bar, I had two friends planted at the bar as my bodyguards/get away excuse. I apparently ran past him on my way in (it was raining) and we found each other inside. It was loud – the Philadelphia Flyers were playing what was to be the final game of the Stanley Cup and the bar was packed.

We ordered beers and appetizers and did the awkward first date interview. He was cute, but I wasn’t getting the spark, although I chalked it up to the fact that we were practically screaming at each other over the din. After a while, I suggested we go someplace for coffee so we could chat in a quieter place.

He suggested we go back to his place.

I should have stamped my little foot and told him that I’m not that kind of girl (really, I’m not – stop laughing). I told him no and that there was a diner up the road. He agreed and we talked for another hour or so. We agreed to see each other again, although no plans were set.

As we were leaving we leaned in for the awkward hug and what I thought would be a kiss on the cheek. As a rule, I don’t swap spit with someone I’ve only known for about four hours – unless he’s Justin Timberlake of course. Bachelor Number 1 apparently has no such policy in place.

Again, I should have pulled back and told him to back off, but it was late and I was questioning my instincts. I have been doing my monk impression for a while, so maybe I was in the wrong I thought.

That night, I sent the obligatory text – nice meeting you, had a good time, maybe we can meet up again. Again, I was thinking I was in the wrong for feeling awkward about the whole encounter.

He texted me the next morning asking if I wanted to go out that night. To see a movie. At his place. I pushed back and suggested we go to a theater to see a movie. He agreed. Ultimately plans fell through.

After talking to my council of girlfriends (and a guy friend) all agreed that the “hey let’s go back to my place” was way too forward for a first meeting, and the kiss was definitely out of line. My take away from this is that I need to trust my instincts more.

So Bachelor Number 2 is lined up for tomorrow night. I’m wary to say the least. I’m not giving up on the on-line dating just yet, but it’s getting tiresome and it hasn’t even been a month. I’ve been approaching this like it’s a full time job – spending as much time as possible on the sites, winking like I have Tourettes and going out on a limb and emailing guys I think are interesting. I may need to take a step back and look at it like a part time job, or even a hobby. There are only so many questionable guys and rejection a girl can take.

But I’m keeping positive, Bachelor Number 2 on deck, instincts properly tuned and getting back on the horse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done. ALWAYS trust your instincts! No where to go but up...
--Kel

Christina said...

My perspective? Dating online is a numbers game... and the numbers are against you. So, get used to this first date thing. Don't invest much in the first date... don't think about it to much, don't agonize over it. That way, if it doesn't work out, you are on to the next before you even have time to think about his slimy ass. Hang in there girl, your prince charming is out there.

Courtney said...

Interesting... I can not wait to hear about number 2.