Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

By Popular Demand

So I had my "date" with Bachelor Number 2 on Monday night.

I think I prejudiced myself a bit by doing some detective work earlier in the day and finding him on Facebook, but hey, if you're going to tell me your name and where you work, I'm going to do some digging. Again, coming off of a L&O: SVU marathon - I'd like to know if I'm going out on a blind date with the new Drew Peterson.

While I didn't find any dead (or missing) spouses or girlfriends, I did find a lot of pictures of him with dead fish, the proud trophies of his fishing hobby. He also is a huge outdoorsman. When you think of the great outdoors, I'm pretty sure you don't think of me - unless it's an open air mall or bar, but hey, opposites attact, right?

I had another set of spies at the bar that night (the scene of the last crime)and knew some of the bartenders working. Turns out Bachelor Number 2 is a regular. This didn't work in his favor. It's not that I'm opposed to bar flies, but when you make a bad impression on the bar staff, that's not a good sign.

My spies were chatting up the bartenders who conveyed their dislike of Bachelor Number Two while he and I chatted (exact quote - she can do better). At the time I knew this wasn't going anywere, but being polite I stayed for a bit. We traded stories, living situations, etc.

I'm going to go off track for a minute and share with you what my friend Bill told me about his experience on match.com: Good luck, Beth! I meant to comment on your previous posts about Match, but I always read them on my phone and didn't feel like typing a long message. My wife and I met on match.com about five years ago. I think I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other guys, but I'd be hesitant to recommend it to women.

When I was on there, I decided to check out the competition, and it made me feel like a rock star. It seemed liked 95% of the guys on there were a) married and looking for something extra on the side, b) just looking for one night stands, or c) total losers living in their mom's basement or something. At least that's what it seemed like five years ago.


So, I met (b) in Bachelor Number 1 and call me hypocritical (which trust me, my father did when I brought this up) Bachelor Number 2 falls into category (c). Layer in that the bartenders said he's generally a jerk and cheap (he got overly excited that the owner of the bar bought a round while we were there - the whole date cost him $3.50).

Am I discouraged? A tad. I've let myself wallow in the general failure of my two first dates, although I'm sure there will be more to come. But I'm putting myself out there and that's what's important to me right now.

On to the next adventure. No Bachelor Number 3 on desk just yet, but stay tuned.

1 comment:

H. said...

hang in there buddy, you'll find him : )